Contact Lenses vs Glasses? Which one is your choice? While some people enjoy making a fashion statement with a variety of eyeglasses today, others still prefer their appearance without them.
APART FROM COSMETIC REASONS, MEDICALLY SPEAKING, THERE ARE MANY ADVANTAGES OF CONTACT LENSES OVER SPECTACLES. AND WE HAVE GOT THE REASONS TO BELIEVE THAT:
- Contact lenses, like eyeglasses or LASIK, can correct your nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. The benefit of Contact lenses lies in achieving this without irreversible refractive surgery.
- When we asked Dr. Anil Kumar Mehrotra from Roorkee, a famous opthalmologist, he gave us a valuable insight saying: “When we talk about eyeglasses, the distance between the eye and the lens sometimes creates distortion, while on the other hand contact lenses, if worn in the right manner, give natural vision.”
- And then the insights came pouring in from Dr. Ravi Swarup Aggarwal from EyeQ Vision Muzaffarnagar: “Although eyeglasses may be the most convenient option, the major drawback with glasses is the poor peripheral vision while a contact lens would cover your entire field of view and everything stays in focus.”
- Contact lenses help a lot and are important while engaging in sports and driving, where one needs to see as much around them as possible. A person wearing spectacles would be constantly aware of frame and lens edge as well as the reflections off the backside of the lens. With contacts, no annoying obstructions or reflections are in view.
- There is an uncomfortable weight on your face and ears when you wear glasses. There is also a periodic need for tightening and other adjustments. Contacts on the other hand are comfortable to use and there is no frame constantly slipping down your nose.
- Every spectacles wearer knows how the glasses fog up with changes in temperature. There is no such issue with contact lenses since it gives you a natural vision.
- Again, this is a drawback on which a lot spectacle users will agree upon – Wearing eyeglasses takes away the fun of wearing fashionable sunglasses. However, a person using contact lenses has all the flexibility in the world to try on anything.
- “Astigmatism, an irregular cornea shape that distorts vision. A lot of experts would say only glasses can correct astigmatism but contact lenses do a better job because they hold their shape and thereby retain proper visual correction,” says Dr. Maneesh Dhupper fom Hisar who has proved it with this point that contact lenses, if used for medical purpose are the best eye corrective method.
Nowadays, contact lenses have become affordable like eyeglasses, but again considering how important they are to the quality of your life, they should be considered invaluable. Since glasses have few, if any, advantages over contact lenses, you may decide to throw yours away.
If you are still undecided about which vision option is best for you, talk it over with your eye care practitioner.